One of the greatest concerns when it comes to traveling is the fear of getting sick while in a foreign country without any health insurance cover to cater for the medical bills. Most people are vulnerable to attack by diseases and a slight delay in treatment due to lack of a medical insurance cover could potentially result in serious problems, and if bad goes to worse, it could be fatal.
- Most of the health insurance covers that people have are domestic, meaning that they can only be used within their respective country and wouldn’t be beneficial if they opted to use them abroad. While this is the case, it is important to get health insurance to cover you while you’re traveling. The good news is that getting this cover isn’t a hectic process, and it isn’t expensive either.
- The health insurance coverage that you get will greatly depend on the type of travel that you plan to undertake. If you’re traveling to multiple countries, then you will need a comprehensive health insurance coverage but if your travel is limited to only one country or city for a limited period of time, you can take up a health insurance cover valid to function within that country.
- Traveling to a single country gives you the ease of getting a health cover. Upon arrival to the country, it is vital to purchase the local insurance cover within the same day. This not only assures you of your health protection but also allows you to have the whole process done before you embark on your planned activities and forget about purchasing the health cover.
Procrastination to take a medical cover can cost you heavily in the long run in the event that you get sick.
Local medical insurance can be found online by browsing through websites and making comparisons of all the available insurance plans and choose the one that best fits you. You can also opt to enquire from the airport employees or hotel attendants regarding where you can purchase a cover and which option works best.
Some hotels have a health insurance cover that caters for their guests for the period they are booked in. Consult with the hotel’s management to find out whether this option is available.
It is always advisable to have both local and comprehensive insurance if you plan to travel to different states. Local hospitals will more likely prefer and accept local insurance cover to cater for medical bills as opposed to a comprehensive global medical insurance.
There are several options you can consider when taking a comprehensive global medical health insurance.
- One option is considering your current domestic health insurance and find out whether it offers any kind of global health coverage.
- If the insurance company is big, there is a high likelihood that it can offer a comprehensive medical insurance coverage as you travel to other countries.
If you have uncertainties about the insurance coverage, it’s important to consult with your insurer to find out the full details. Enquire also whether there is any form of upgrade that can be done to your insurance cover to make it a global comprehensive cover. You may have to pay more for it, but it will serve you effectively. Furthermore, you get to stick with your insurer whose services you know better.
In the event that your insurance company doesn’t offer a global comprehensive insurance cover that can serve you while you travel, it is paramount that you source a new insurer with an effective globally recognized health cover.
You can consider getting insurance coverage from a large insurance company with a variety of health cover options or you can opt for an insurer who specializes specifically in traveler’s insurance.
Travel health insurance is quite common and very cheap compared to domestic health covers. More to that, travel health insurance is very flexible. This means you can get insurance for only one trip, or for different time periods, say, one month or two months, depending on your travel time, or you can get a cover for the number of times you travel for an unspecified period of time.
You can typically purchase comprehensive travel health insurance for less than $1,000 to cover you for a whole year. This is way much less compared to the normal rates of $300 to $500 you pay per month for domestic health covers.
For an average traveler, the most logical thing to do would be to purchase a travel health insurance that is all round comprehensive. If your travel involves sports activities, it’s important to also consider purchasing a Hazardous Sports Insurance since the risk of getting injured during a sports activity is high.
Your health is vital and with the major climatic changes that come about as you transition from one country to another, you could potentially get sick if your body isn’t strong enough to handle different climates.
As you plan to travel, weigh out all the factors of the country or countries you plan to visit. Find out the potential dangers your body may be exposed to that could result in health problems. Consult with your doctor if there are any kinds of vaccinations you can have to keep your immunity strong. Get a good health insurance coverage that fits your travel needs and you’re good to go. Stay safe, stay health insured.